Location: Elvey Building auditorium, Murie Building auditorium, Georgeson Botanical Garden
University of Alaska Fairbanks Summer Sessions and Lifelong Learning is hosting nearly 50 free lectures, concerts and other events this summer. Here is what’s happening during the week ahead:
- On Sunday, June 25, the Centennial Celebration Speakers Series will feature UAF Chancellor and former University of Alaska Vice President Dana Thomas. The series includes conversations with notable figures who helped shape UAF’s history. The event will be at 4 p.m. at the Elvey Building auditorium.
- On Monday, June 26, the Down Memory Lane interview series will feature a discussion with Carl Benson, professor emeritus of geology and geophysics, 1960-87, and Will Harrison, professor emeritus of physics, 1972-98. Veteran journalist Robert Hannon will conduct the interviews, which will be at 7 p.m. at the Elvey Building auditorium.
- On Tuesday, June 27, the Healthy Living lecture series will feature Mike Bork, director of Fairbanks North Star Borough Parks and Recreation, on “Parks and Recreation: Community health at your fingertips.” The lecture will be at 7 p.m. at the Murie Building auditorium.
- On Wednesday, June 28, the Discover Alaska lecture series will present Greg Dudgeon, superintendent of Gates of the Arctic National Park and Preserve and Yukon-Charley Rivers National Preserve, on “To protect and to share: A walkabout of two northern national parks with an oldtyme ranger.” The lecture will be at 7 p.m. at the Murie Building auditorium.
- On Thursday, June 29, the Music in the Garden concert series will host Cold Steel Drums. The band plays calypso, reggae, Brazilian, Afro-Cuban and rock ’n’ roll on Trinidadian-fashioned steel pans. Music begins at 7 p.m. at the Georgeson Botanical Garden.
For more information, visit www.uaf.edu/summer/events or call 907-474-7021.