Location: Elvey Building auditorium, Murie Building auditorium, Georgeson Botanical Garden
University of Alaska Fairbanks Summer Sessions and Lifelong Learning is hosting nearly 50 free lectures, concerts and other events this summer. Here is what’s happening during the week ahead:
• On Sunday, June 18, the Centennial Celebration Speakers Series will begin with former University of Alaska President Mark Hamilton. The series, led by veteran journalist Robert Hannon, includes conversations with notable figures who helped shape UAF’s history. The event will be at 4 p.m. at the Elvey Building auditorium.
• On Monday, June 19, the Down Memory Lane interview series will feature a discussion with Rudy Krejci, UAF professor emeritus of philosophy and humanities, 1960-97. Veteran journalist Robert Hannon will conduct the interview, which will be at 7 p.m. at the Elvey Building auditorium.
• On Tuesday, June 20, the Healthy Living lecture series will feature Dr. Jay Butler, chief medical officer for the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services and director of the Division of Public Health, on “Marijuana and health: The highs and lows.” The lecture will be at 7 p.m. at the Murie Building auditorium.
• On Wednesday, June 21, the Discover Alaska lecture series will present Brad Moran, dean of the UAF College of Fisheries and Ocean Sciences, on “Adventures of the Sikuliaq: Living and working on a research ship.” The lecture will be at 7 p.m. at the Murie Building auditorium.
• On Thursday, June 22, the Music in the Garden concert series will host the Rock Bottom Stompers. The band features soulful, stompable tunes featuring sweet, lonesome melodies. Music begins at 7 p.m. at the Georgeson Botanical Garden.
For more information, visit www.uaf.edu/summer/events or call 907-474-7021.